Environmental monitoring is the foundation of modern agriculture. By collecting the periodical weather data both real-time and long-term evaluation, the behavior and variation of hourly, daily, monthly, and yearly could be quantified for precise farming decision support. Remote environmental monitoring based on cloud technology could support the real-time and long-term evaluation on the tropical horticulture production under unstable network connection .
Several challenges on the application of remote environmental monitoring are:
- Availability and sustainability of electricity as main power for the field monitoring system (FMS)
- Availability of GSM signal as data transmission on performing remote monitoring
- Assembly and maintenance cost
Accordingly, currently we are focusing on two topics regarding this research theme:
- Development of a cost-effective agricultural remote environmental monitoring system with energy scavenging features.
- Development of a cost-effective agricultural remote environmental monitoring system with RF (Radio Frequency) transmission.
 Nugroho, A., Okayasu, T., Hoshi, T., Inoue, E., Hirai, Y., Mitsuoka, M., Sutiarso, L., 2016a. Development of a remote environmental monitoring and control framework for tropical horticulture and verification of its validity under unstable network connection in rural area. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 124, 325–339